Thursday, May 3, 2012

Review: Market Table

For our 4th anniversary last week, we had dinner at Market Table in the West Village. It was a beautiful space with lots of windows letting in natural light and allowing us to enjoy a little people watching between courses. While the food prices were reasonable, I was a bit shocked by the wine prices - there was one glass of red for $12 and they went up from there. Yikes! Instead, I chose a Bordelet Sparkling Pear Cider, which was still $11. I was expecting to receive a 12 oz bottle, but it was actually served in a wine glass so it was maybe 4 oz or so. I'm not sure what a standard size pour is. Next time, I'll probably opt for a cocktail.

We started with the scallop crudo with pineapple, pickled ramps, chili and lime. Let me tell you, those were A LOT of flavors going on in one bite - sweet, sour, spicy. It worked, though and was really lovely and refreshing. Disclaimer: I forgot to take a picture before we started eating - the dish was not served this sloppy.
Scallop Crudo
For main courses, Bill chose the crispy pork cutlet with shaved asparagus, oyster mushrooms and favas. Regrettably, I did not taste it, but since he cleaned his plate, I'm going to assume it was delicious. I chose the braised short ribs with fontina fondue, greens and horseradish crumbs. The short ribs were cooked to perfection and just about melted in my mouth. The fontina fondue was . . . odd. Perhaps it had gotten a bit cold on the way to the table or something, but it was not creamy and dipable like a fondue - it was stiff. You know, like cheese that has been melted and then has started to re-solidify. Regardless, it tasted delicious.

Braised Short Ribs
We also had the spring vegetable risotto with pancetta and parmesan. I wasn't crazy about this dish. It was heavy on peas and I just felt that the flavor of the peas overpowered everything else in the dish.
Spring Vegetable Risotto
In spite of a couple of iffy food issues, we really enjoyed our meal at Market Table and will definitely go again. The service was friendly and the staff was attentive without being intrusive. Also, when they brought our check, they brought along a small autograph book. You could flip through signatures, well wishes and doodles from some of their previous guests and leave your own message. I thought that was a really cool touch.

If you're in New York, check out Market Table. Reservations are definitely required, though. Several groups were turned away for lack of tables while we were there between 7:15 and 8:30 or so on a Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment